HOW TO: TopknotTuesday, July 5 2016
Buns or topknots are a classic and timeless hairstyle that have been given a new life thanks to celebrities and the fashion runways. Not only are topknots a great everyday look but they translate from day to night perfectly. We are teaching you three easy at home knots for every occasion.
Messy Topknot: Your ultimate everyday knot!
- First, pull your hair into a loose ponytail, as high or as low as you’d like your bun. This look is meant to have that ‘i woke up like this’ vibe so don’t worry about using a comb or keeping it perfect.
- Separate the hair in your ponytail into two sections and backcomb at the root. Teasing is the key, it will totally change your bun game. This will also make sure your bun doesn’t enter ballerina territory!
- Wrap the hair in opposite directions.
- Instead of pinning your hair neatly in, secure your hair with a bobby pin about an inch from the bottom of your strands, leaving the ends to fray around your bun, creating a messy effect.
- To embrace and enhance the messy quality gently pull the bun apart with your hands or the end of a comb. We also like to pull a few rogue pieces out around the face.
- To finish the look you’ll want to spray, spray, SPRAY with Original & Mineral’s Original Queenie.
Sleek Twisted Topknot: Your date night knot!
- Create a tight neat ponytail at the top of the head.
- Take two sections and create a rope braid, simply twisting them together. Next, go over the braid with hairspray to smooth all of the flyaways.
- Twist the rope braid around the elastic.
- Secure the topknot in place with hair pins.
- To keep your hair in place spray your hands with Original & Mineral’s Original Queen and run your hands along the top of your head securing fly aways.
Half Bun: Your go to brunch with the girls or night out knot!
- Part hair into a loose centre parting before taking the top third section and pulling up into a ponytail as high or as low as you’d like the knot .
- Wrap the ponytail round itself so it forms a bun and pin in place.
- Leave the lengths of the rest of the hair down we like to add a little movement or texture by lightly GHD curling random sections to create soft waves that aren’t too uniform.
- Finish with some dry texturising spray throughout the mid-lengths and ends and you’re good to go!
Kundalini Hair is located within the Hotel Realm precinct, Barton Canberra.
We love sharing our hair knowledge with you so pop in and say hi!
Opening Hours: monday 9am-4pm, tuesday 9am-6pm, wednesday: 9am-8pm, thursday 9am-8pm, friday 9am-6pm, saturday 8:30am-4pm
Words: Ruby Noble (Just Like Us) – Images: Pinterest