How to: Space BunsTuesday, July 4 2017
We road tested ‘Space Buns’ for a whole week and have decided they are our new go to ‘lazy girl’ hairdo! The best thing about space buns is that they work with long hair, short hair, thick hair, and thin hair.
Space buns have come along way since the original space bun queen herself Princess Leia rocked the double buns. Now popular from the runways in Paris to the mosh pits of Cochella, we think they will be sticking around for a while. The new wave of buns are also a bit messier than the Princess’s, giving them that perfectly carefree vibe. From the gym to a night out on the town we have found your new favourite look.
High Space Buns:
- With a bobby pin or a comb, part your hair directly down the middle. This should create two even parts to your hair for two even buns.
- Take one half of your hair in your hands, and with a hairbrush, brush all of it up to the top of your head, and secure with a hair tie. Tease the hair with your brush for some extra volume. This will look like a cute little pigtail!
- Do exactly the same with the other half, making sure you collect every strand of hair so you are left with two “pigtails”.
- With one pigtail, twist the hair loosely with your fingers then wrap around the hair tie. Secure this bun, or doughnut, with another hair tie and then with some bobby pins.
- Do exactly the same with the other pigtail. There you have it! Two space buns! For a messier effect, pull out a few strands of hair from the front of your head and the buns.
- Spray with hairspray just to keep your space buns intact for the day.
Low Space Buns:
- Brush your hair and create a straight middle parting with a bobby pin or a comb. Tie one half of your hair out the way.
- Pull all of the other half of hair to the back and side of your head, almost behind your shoulders. Secure with a hair tie to create a low pigtail.
- Repeat step number two for the other half of your hair.
- Twist one pigtail very loosely around your finger and around the hair tie into a small doughnut shape. Secure with a hair tie and LOTS of bobby pins. (The gravitational pull on the bun will be greater as it is vertically on your head)
- Repeat this step with the other pigtail, thus creating your sleek low space bun look!
- Spray your low space buns with hairspray just to keep them intact for the day.
Half Up, Half Down Buns:
- With a hair brush, brush all of your hair and then create a middle parting with a comb or bobby pin. It doesn’t matter if this middle parting is messy.
- Put both an index finger on the arch of each eyebrow, trace back into your hair and hold. This will create the “half up half down look”.
- With the hair you have just gathered at the top, split into two halves. You might want to tie one half out of the way.
- With one half, scrape to the top and to the side of your head and secure tightly with a hair tie. Do the same with the other half, so you have two small half up half down pigtails at the top of your head.
- With one side, loosely twist the pigtail with your fingers and then wrap around the hair tie. Secure this bun, or doughnut, with another hair tie and some bobby pins.
- Do the same with the other pigtail. Voila! You have your half up half down buns! Pull two strands out from the front of your hair for a messier look.
- Spray the top of your head with hairspray just to keep your space buns intact for the day.
Kundalini Hair is located within the Hotel Realm precinct, Barton Canberra. For appointments call us on (02) 6237 7766 or email us at Reception@kundalinihair.com.au or visit us in salon.
Opening Hours: monday 9am-4pm (reception and shop only), tuesday 9am-6pm, wednesday: 9am-8pm, thursday 9am-8pm, friday 9am-6pm, saturday 8:30am-4pm
Images:Pintrest – Words: Ruby Noble (@JustLikeUs)